2 Jul 2010

Back In Leicester

In June I went with my husband to Portugal (Canas de Senhorim) with all my machines, fabrics and everything else I could fit into the car . Took us less than two days to get there. I know, it's a bit crazy all the rush, but we couldn't wait.
Once there, I occupied the old wine crusher room, set up a table and open my suitcases (there were overflowing a bit) on one half. The other half was shared by my mother and her fantastic hand embroidered slippers and Mark with his "writing gear". An industrious trio I can tell you.
I spent, apart from the last few days, working from morning until evening, producing a lot, both for fairs and art works. That place has a good vibe: the people (parents and family) the village atmosphere, the good weather, although we had a few days of cold and bits of rain, the food, the coffee, the wine... What more could you ask for?
And here are some cultural activities in the area :
- A Gala from a School of Ballroom Dance from Torres Vedras held in aid of AMI - at Nelas. There were around 50 dancers and they all stayed overnight at Casas do Visconde. Amazing how so much people could fit there, albeit camping a bit.
- The Theatre Festival ( called: Stage for Two or Less) at Carregal do Sal organized by NACO http://doisoumenos.wordpress.com/2010/04/. The NACO building used to be an old primary school of just two classrooms, Transforming it into a small theatre was a feat but the stage is so small... ence the name. However, the level of plays and actors is very good and worth going there.
- The "Maiorca" Ballet by Companhia Paulo Ribeiro http://www.pauloribeiro.com/ at Coimbra, with my sister (Leonor Keil) in the cast and Pedro Burmester on the Piano. I loved it. Based on the records of George Sands during the time spent in Maiorca by her and Chopin.
- The visits to Viseu and the "discovery" of Emporio http://www.projectopatrimonio.com/ in the heart of the city, next to the Cathedral, filled with wonderfull things: from old books to toys and clothes, were I am currently holding an exhibition.
They are organizing a new exhibition , to be held during August, in the back garden, with 5 local artists under the theme: The Republic. A fantastic theme: We have 100 years of republic and each artist corresponds to 20. My mother (Lira Keil Amaral) is one of the artists invited. The artworks will be placed outdoors, with a daily visual record of it's weathering.
The other project they are involved in is the brand new festival of short films done by people from Viseu District and/or about the District itself.
- At Casas do Visconde (where we stayed) there was an guided exhibition on Modern Dance and the Body, to which all classes from the local primary and secondary schools came everyday (one at a time obviously) with their teachers and assistants . My mother was the guide - the best you can get ever! The way she puts those minds at work and the final music session, with classic music but where the children had to dance as they felt it better. Afterwards, if there was time left, the children would cross the yard to see me recycling the plastics. There would be a quick chat on environmental issues and they would go back to the schools full with new ideas and new ways of seeing the world. What a fantastic way of learning and growing!
Still at Casas do Visconde, there was the first ever Craft and Jumble Sale Fair. Supposed to be only for one day and in aid of the Tai Chi Association from Gouveia, was such a success that had to be kept open for another three days! And one complains about the backwardsness of the rural villages.
I put a link here but it is of a local link... http://www.canasdesenhorim.org/content/view/111%22, they have not got a website, which is a shame.
Unfortunately I've just realised that I erased the only photo I had of the fantastic working place I had made for myself there.

1 comment:

  1. Com tanta coisa assim boa e bonita, com a "gente" tão criativa lendo seu ralto, só tenho a dizer: hummmm...eu não fui! Um abraço saudoso, da sócia distante Bernadete

    ReplyDelete